Agencies and support groups.

There is a lot of support out there for disabled people if you know where to look.
Care and repair are an agency who support people over 65 or disabled people to get repairs or adaptations done to their home. They have a handyman service who for a small fee will be able to do odd jobs and minor repairs or adaptations around the home. For larger adaptations, they have surveyors and case workers who will assist you through the process whether you are going privately or using your local council. They will charge a fee but you may feel this is worth the cost of trying to arrange everything yourself. If you are going through a disabled facilities grant, the fee is usually covered by this.
Age concern assists people over 65 in many areas. They can assist with setting up care, befriending services, advice on benefits and much more.
The British legion and other military groups provide great assistance to any person or spouse of a person who is or has been in the military. They are able to provide financial assistance for equipment and adaptations, as well as other things such as holidays if a person cannot afford this. Their funding has been cut lately but it is worth speaking to them.
If you have a specific condition, there a lots if support associations out there to guide you. Some of these are the motor neurone association, the ms society, rheumatoid arthritis and dementia associations. Just search for the condition and you are likely to fond something even if the condition is not well known. Otherwise, please get in touch and I will point you in the right direction.